Department of Animal Biology
School of Integrative Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Animal Biology seeks a Research Specialist to coordinate and conduct aspects of the research program of Professor Mark E. Hauber’s Laboratory (www.cowbirdslab.org).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct molecular (genetic and endocrine) research on birds both in the laboratory and in the field, collecting and compiling data for scientific analyses and publications.
- Present and update the group members with the results obtained from molecular and field work at laboratory meetings. Draft, edit and peer-review laboratory-based research manuscripts and protocols in the Hauber laboratory.
- Manage record keeping, drafting and maintaining active animal and biosafety materials, research permits and order laboratory supplies.
- Technical support for research equipment operation, maintenance and break-down reporting. Schedule and prepare the scientific agenda for regular laboratory research meetings.
- Assist with research of other members as needed in the laboratory and field by the research group.
- Master’s level graduate degree in a scientific discipline.
- 2 years of combined laboratory and field experience with molecular and organismal research projects.
- Mist-netting for birds, DNA extraction, PCR protocols, knowledge of MS Office and
- Adobe Photoshop
- Master’s in biology, environmental sciences or related discipline with research experience in field and molecular ornithology
- 3 or more years of combined laboratory and field experience with molecular and behavioral research projects on birds.
- Formal or informal training bird banding, molecular biological techniques and IACUC protocols.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full time, 100%, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis.
The expected start date is as soon as possible after close date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at http://go.illinois.edu/ABResSpec18 and upload your cover letter and resume by February 23, 2018. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Marty Forrest at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu