Senior Research/ Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Epidemiology of Emerging Vector-Borne Diseases.
Department of Health, El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (The College of the Southern Border, Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico).
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Researcher in population health sciences in Southern Mexico, within the Health Department at El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (ECOSUR), one of the leading public research institutes of the Mexican National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT). Research will focus on the epidemiology of emerging vector-borne diseases (e.g. arbovirosis, viral encephalitis, hemorrhagic fevers).
We are looking for a senior researcher who has a track record of high quality applied and methodological research. The post holder will develop a research programme in collaboration with colleagues at ECOSUR and will work in multidisciplinary research teams. The post holder will be involved in teaching and supervising ECOSUR’s postgraduate students (MSc. and PhD) to prepare future researchers for the new challenges in public health.
For informal enquiries please contact MSc. Carlos Noé Hernández through the following email email@example.com
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur is committed to equality and we value the diversity of our staff and students.
To apply, please click on the Apply button to be redirected to our website, enter the vacancy number into the job search and follow the link to the online application process.
The closing date for applications is Jan.13, 2017
To apply, please read first our eligibility and requirements, and submit the following documents to the email firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Resume/CV (Digital copy of PhD or Doctoral certificate and more relevant publications)
• Cover letter where it exhibits: (1) motives for entering ECOSUR, (2) research topics that proposes to develop, (3) interest in teaching at graduate level and building local capacity, (4) working lines to link with social and / or health sector to be developed 5) current labor situation and available date to be contracted.
• Submit a work plan containing a research proposal in your area, taking into account the profile established in this call. It is desirable that this work proposal be developed within a multidisciplinary perspective and that also outlines a horizon of investigation in the long term. The document must be five pages (double space, font size 11, separate references).
• No age or nationality restrictions.
• Applicants must have a doctoral degree (DSc, PhD or DPH) in a discipline related to Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases with emphasis on emerging vector-borne diseases (e.g. arbovirus, viral encephalitis, haemorragic fevers, and other) or on Molecular Epidemiology or Genetic Epidemiology, or on other related biomedical and health discipline.
• Experience and / or ability to perform outbreaks studies and analyzes.
• This competition is open for researchers with at least 6 years of post-PhD research experience.
Requirements: The following are essential for the application
• Member of the National Mexican Researchers System or meet the requirements to be a member.
• Potential to lead an independent research programme, having obtained funds for at least two research projects.
• Refereed scientific production published (at least 16 peer-reviewed scientific publications) or its equivalent in patents and technological developments. At least eight articles published in journals indexed by ISI or CONACYT, and other publications (articles and / or books or book chapters) in prestigious scientific editorials.
• Experience on training human resources for research through teaching and having directed at least two master or doctoral degree theses.
• Preferably with experience in handling or application of laboratory techniques in molecular biology (PCR , RT- PCR , Western Blot, etc. ), genetics, cell cultures, immunoassays (ELISA , hemagglutination, etc.), microbiology (viral isolation). Experience desirable (at least) in research centres with two level biosafety laboratory (BSL -2).
For those applicants with a technological profile:
• Contribution to innovation in the generation of a new product design, process, service, method or organization or add value to existing ones.
• Conduct scientific research on epidemiology, pathogenesis and immune response, infectious diseases with emphasis on emerging vector-borne diseases (arboviruses, viral encephalitis, hemorrhagic fevers and others) ; and also on control methods of these diseases.
• Develop research capacity and lead a research group in this area in the long term.
• Raise funds to finance for research, innovation and development.
• Plan, develop and implement research projects that address the public health problems of the state of Tabasco and other southern border states of and ECOSUR’s, Mid-term Institutional Strategic Programme.
• Publish your research findings in refereed high impact indexed scientific journals.
• Coordinate the personnel and manage the material and financial resources under your responsibility.
• Participate actively in teaching activities and supervising master’s and / or doctorate’s students.
• Ensure a close link with the various sectors of the society, so that the research results respond efficiently to the needs and social demands.
• Comply with the obligations under the Institutional Statute of the Academic Staff.
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (ECOSUR) is a multidisciplinary research and postgraduate education centre. It generates knowledge in the areas of natural and social sciences; involves in outreach of the generated knowledge and the design of technologies and strategies for sustainable development; and educates future researchers. Our main research areas are health, biodiversity conservation, society and culture, agroecology and environment, sustainability sciences, and systematics and aquatic ecology. ECOSUR has five campuses, located in Campeche (State of Campeche), Chetumal (State of Quintana Roo), San Cristobal de Las Casas and Tapachula (State of Chiapas), and Villahermosa (State of Tabasco).