Department of Plant Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
The Department of Plant Biology at UIUC invites applications for a Research Scientist position to work on papaya sex chromosome evolution and sex determination gene network. The Research Scientist will use a variety of molecular, genetic, genomic and informatics methods to study mutation events leading to the sex reversal from male to hermaphrodite. The successful candidate will work as a member of an integrated team to oversee and integrate ongoing efforts to understand mechanisms and patterns of sex chromosome evolution in papaya.
The Research Scientist will develop genetic, genomic, biochemical, molecular and informatics tools for ongoing analysis of sex chromosome evolution and gene networks leading to sexual differentiation. This will include conducting experiments to elucidate mechanisms of genomic, metabolic and other essential genetic functions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Sequence and assembled genomes of papaya accessions and related species with
XX or XY chromosomes.
• Analyze second and third generation sequencing data and compile the results from
multiple environmental or experimental samples for population genomic and
• Develop and implement statistical analyses of genomic data integrated across
multiple levels (i.e. metagenomics, gene expression, protein expression and single
• Data analysis and presentation. Responsible for writing and presenting data as
manuscripts and presentations at scientific meetings. Provide oral and written
progress updates to PIs and other lab members.
• Assist and oversee with graduate and undergraduate research progress including
development of protocols and guidance on new directions. The research scientist will
advise students on experimental protocols, experimental design, and new directions
but the Professor will be the primary official mentor.
• Oversee ordering and budget expenditures for the external grants.
• Ph.D. in plant biology, horticulture, crop science or a related field.
• Experience and knowledge of experimental design, control and replication,
knowledge of molecular, genetic, and genomic techniques in plant biology, data
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a multidisciplinary team.
• Molecular biology and genomic expertise.
• Informatics skills, including meta-omic analyses.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Experience in development of research protocols and a background in informatics.
• Three years of laboratory experience beyond Ph.D.
• Experience with field work and population genomic analyses.
• Experience with sex chromosome evolution.
• Hands-on experience with experimental design and analyses.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is a 12-month, 100% time academic professional, non-tenure track, benefits-eligible position including health, dental and life insurance benefits, as well as participation in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS). Eligibility for the listed benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility go to this link.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
- Agricultural IPM (75)
- Apps (2)
- Center News (212)
- Conference (14)
- Disease Management (30)
- Field Crop IPM (86)
- Fruit IPM (27)
- Funding Opportunities (128)
- General Information (309)
- Guides (1)
- Insect Management (83)
- IPM Arenas (31)
- IPM Resources (12)
- IPM Technology (3)
- IPM Tools (4)
- IPM Training (15)
- Job Opportunities (252)
- Meetings (17)
- Pest management (37)
- Pollinators (33)
- Press Release (74)
- Public Housing IPM (21)
- Publications (14)
- Regulatory Information (45)
- Residential Pest Management (15)
- School IPM (40)
- Seminars/Symposia (45)
- Structural IPM (10)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Urban Ag IPM (7)
- Vegetable IPM (18)
- Videos (14)
- webinar (56)
- Websites (4)
- Weed Management (45)
- Wildlife Management (5)
- Workshops (25)
TagsAsian longhorned beetle awards Bed bugs Bedbugs Brown Marmorated Stink Bug corn rootworm Cover crops EPA evaluation Extension fellowship funding genetics grants herbicides Hops Hops Working Group identification Invasives invasive species IPM jobs lawncare mosquitoes newsletter organic Palmer amaranth pesticide pesticide safety pulse crop research resistance scholarship soybean specialty crops spiders stored grain subscribe Success Story turf USDA NIFA wheat working group Working Groups Zika